THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE VISIT MY DISCLOSURE PAGE FOR ADDITIONAL INFO.
Struggles of a New Blogger
Since May 2017 I have studied up on how to make money blogging. I had blogged in the past as hobby and I wasn’t consistent. In my education on blogging I found that choosing Bluehost and WordPress to power my blog was a fairly inexpensive way to start.
From the outside looking in the primary tasks of a blogger are posting great content and marketing that content on social media. While these are very important task, there are a lot of task required to set up and maintain a successful blog and social media accounts.
I have turned to various bloggers (new and old) for insight on setting things up and getting organized. While they have been helpful they have left with many questions. I don’t want you left with these questions too so I am creating The Ultimate Guide for New Bloggers.
The Ultimate Guide for New Bloggers
The guide is a working document and I will add to it as I learn about and use a new tool. Unlike the post the guide includes screenshots to help walk blogger through the process. You can receive the the guide and any updates for FREE by signing up with your email address below.
While I do make money with my blog, my focus with this guide is to show you how to set up all the moving parts of your blog, not to tell you how to make money. There are many bloggers who can tell you how to make money with affiliate links, advertising, Pinterest, courses and much more. Here we will focus on the mechanics.
Guide for Bluehost Setup
- Getting Started Checklist
- Setting Up Bluehost
Getting Started Checklist
- Do you have a primary email address? You can use your personal email or create a new one. I created a Gmail account (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org) which will be handy in the future when we configure your Google+ account.
- Do you have name for your blog? You will need this for the Bluehost & WordPress setup. Take a minute to brainstorm ideas and decide on a name. Don’t get stock in analysis paralysis and overthink the name. If you change your mind in the future there are ways to change the name. The name “If I Was A Wealthy Girl” is a lyric in the song Rich Girl by Louchie Lou & Michie One (listen).
Setting Up Bluehost
Bluehost is not the only web hosting service available to you, but it is the only one I have experience using. It wouldn’t be wise to take my advice on any other web hosting platform.
You can start your own blog with them for as low as $3.95 a month! Also, by using this link, your domain is free when you purchase a 12 month or longer hosting plan (a $15 value). I signed up for a 3 year package and don’t regret it.
Sign up Process
- Go to Bluehost.com
- Click “Get Started Now” button
- Select the basic plan
- Enter your domain name. If the name is taken, Bluehost provides recommendations and gives you the opportunity to enter another name.
- Enter account information. This is basic name, address & phone number information
- Make package selection. Decide on a 1, 2, or 3 year plan for your blog. Consider getting the Domain Privacy Protection to protect your personal information. Unselect all other check boxes.
- Enter payment information
- Acknowledge terms & conditions and click the “Submit” button.
- Once payment is complete you will click through a couple more screens and set a password.
Guide for Connecting to WordPress
Finally, you are ready to set up your WordPress blog.
Bluehost has made if pretty easy to setup your WordPress blog for FREE. They next few screens will guide you through the process.
Step 1: Skip “select theme”
Bluehost give you the option to pick a theme or skip. I recommend that you scroll to the bottom and select “SKIP”. Selecting a theme will take time and you can change it later. You will be able to chose from several paid and FREE themes.
Step 2: Start Building
On the next screen, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” – it’s up to you. I
ALL DONE! Your WordPress blog is ready to go and now you can start designing the blog and adding quality content.
Please feel free to email me with any questions.
The Ultimate Guide for New Bloggers
Get your FREE copy and subscribe to updates by email.